A client asked me for snack ideas so I asked my colleague Ruthie to share with me her protein snack bite recipe. I’m including that recipe under this one for reference. I had a friend ask me what to substitute oatmeal for in these kinds of recipes and it got my wheels churning. Here is what I came up with and they are really delicious. Bonus, these are also grain free, gluten free and dairy free. Enjoy!
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter (almond butter will work too)
- 1/4 cup raw honey or maple syrup
- 3 scoops of protein powder (96 grams) – I used vanilla but any will work
- 4 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons mini semi-sweet / dark chocolate chips OR cacao nibs
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- a pinch of salt
Combine all ingredients in a bowl until well incorporated. If it feels too crumbly add a teeny bit of water. Too wet, add a bit more protein powder. Roll into balls with about a spoonful of dough and place in a parchment lined container. Store in the fridge for up to a week (they won’t last that long).
Ruthie’s fave: Protein Chia Seed Balls via Camp Makery!